DUE TO THE CURRENT SITUATION (COVID-19) OUR OFFICES AND MUSEUM ARE CLOSED AND ACCESS TO INFORMATION IS LIMITED
The Regimental Museum
The Regimental Museum is on the left with, up the steps on the right, the Museum Office, Library and Research Facilities
How to Find Us and Castle Facilities
The Museum is situated high within Edinburgh Castle Click for Map. It is independent and we do not receive any part of the admission charge to the Castle. Admission is free and all visitors are welcome.
It is only
20 minutes walk from Edinburgh Bus Station, 15 minutes walk from Edinburgh Waverley Railway Station or Princes Street and only 5 minutes walk from major tourist attractions on the Royal Mile such as the Camera Obscura or the Scottish Whisky Experience.
There is no parking for private cars within or or in the immediate surrounding area of the Castle. Taxis are, however, allowed to drop off and, if pre-booked, collect passengers from the bottom of the Esplanade.
The nearest parking for private cars, both metered and multi-storey, is Castle Terrace (EH1 2ES). From there it is a ten minute walk up Johnston Terrace to the Castle.
For further information on visiting Edinburgh Castle, opening times,entry costs , refreshment facilities, gift shops, toilet facilities and more click here
Disabled Access. Edinburgh Castle is an ancient fortification with steep cobbled pathways within it. Disability access to the Museum conforms with the information on the Edinburgh Castle website http://www.edinburghcastle.gov.uk/visit/access-for-all
Museum Opening Hours
The Regimental Museum is normally open within Edinburgh Castle from:
9.30am to 5pm Monday-Friday (summer)
9.30am to 5.30pm Weekends (summer)
9.30am to 4pm Monday-Friday (winter)
9.30am to 4.30pm Weekends (winter)
Please note that the Museum is closed annually over Christmas and New Year for annual maintenance and deep cleaning. During this period, elements of the Museum, and the story it tells, can still be viewed by selecting either the Virtual Tour or The Royal Scots – 373 of Unbroken Service to The Crown on the website.
Note that timings may have to be changed without notice
The refurbished museum, was opened by The Colonel-in-Chief, HRH The Princess Royal, on 27th June, 1991. The story of the Regiment is told in chronological order on pictorial wall panels supported by maps, display cases, tableaux and dioramas. The medal collection is too large to be openly displayed and therefore only a selection is on view. The remainder is mounted in drawers which can be opened on request. Also to be seen are weapons, pictures, collections of silver, sets of drums and old Colours. Other interesting features of the Museum are the descriptions given of contemporary life in the Army and the overhead panels which show significant national and world events of the relevant period.
On entering the Museum, after being introduced to the Regiment by a modern piper, the visitor turns to the left and is immediately taken back over three hundred years to the raising of the Regiment by Sir John Hepburn in 1633. There follows an account of the Regiment’s activities up to the present day. If using the Castle Audio Guide further information on the Museum can be found at number 9.
A verbal and visual tour of the Museum can be dowloaded from our apps.
The Museum of the oldest Scottish Regiment now shares its building with the Museum of The Royal Regiment of Scotland, the youngest Scottish Regiment formed on 28 March 2006. This Museum takes the story of the Scottish infantry forward through operations in Afghanistan to life in the Army of today.
The Museum is a registered Scottish Charity (SCO05163). Its purpose is to tell the story of 373 years of unbroken Royal Scots service to The Crown, complemented by wider aspects of Royal Scots heritage.The Museum is a member of the Association of Scottish Military Museums (ASMM) which has recently achieved the award of a Collection of National Significance by Museums and Galleries Scotland, The Museum has full accreditation to national standards and Visit Scotland 4 star status.
Visitors with a particular interest should contact the Museum (see below) before visiting so that we can prepare in advance. Such visits can be accommodated on most days but not normally on weekends.
Outreach programmes are run with a number of local museums, and, for the WW1 16th Battalion, The Heart of Midlothian FC Museum and The Scottish Football Museum are Hampden Park, Glasgow.
We welcome school visits to the Museum, or can visit schools to talk about The Regiment. To arrange such visits please contact as shown below.
HISTORY OF THE MUSEUM
In 1930 work began to establish a Royal Scots element as an integral part of a Scottish Regimental Museum which was being created within Edinburgh Castle under the auspices of The Scottish National War Memorial Committee. This Museum later became The Scottish United Services Museum and, in 2000, The National War Museum of Scotland.
In 1950, when the Regimental Depot reformed at Glencorse Barracks at Penicuik, 10 miles SW of Edinburgh, a Regimental Museum was established there. Battalions and individuals donated items, pictures, photographs, letters etc to display within it. However, situated as it was, some distance outside Edinburgh and within an active barracks, access was difficult for both the enthusiast and the general public. In 1960 the Depot closed and the Museum, together with Regimental Headquarters, relocated to what had been the 1900 era Garrison Gymnasium within Edinburgh Castle.
The new Museum was opened by HRH Princess Mary, The Princess Royal, in 1962. By 1989, however, the Museum, how it told our story and the way exhibits were presented, was becoming very outdated. An appeal was launched to raise funding to create a modern up-to-date layout within the limited space available. The appeal was successful and the ‘new’ Museum was opened by The Colonel-in-Chief, HRH Princess Anne, The Princess Royal, on 27 June 1991. A rolling programme of refurbishment and updating since then ensures the Museum remains current and, hopefully, with a fresh appearance, for the visitor.