I hope that this email finds you all well. Please find below, and attached, some information, received over the past week, which may be useful to your organisation. Please circulate widely.
1. A link for Walking With The Wounded’s newsletter https://mailchi.mp/wwtw.org.uk/junenewsletter2020 which contains a video by The Duke of Sussex who officially launched ‘The Walk of Oman Expedition’. Also, this month WWTW host their first ever webinar exploring ‘A Life of Service’. A link to a recording of this exclusive webinar is in the newsletter.
2. Attached Is Update No. 5 on the services currently being provided for older veterans in Scotland during the Covid-19 pandemic by partner organisations in the Unforgotten Forces consortium. At the end of this email is the latest Veterans’ Project newsletter from Unforgotten Forces partner Age Scotland. In particular, it is worth highlighting Age Scotland’s new “Comradeship Circles” telephone project which is aimed at countering loneliness & social isolation for older veterans during lockdown. Individuals or organisations may subscribe to receive future copies of this newsletter directly via the following link: https://agescotland.us17.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=864bed6bee41e06f8ac14eb38&id=4425449c2e. Both documents are packed with useful information that will be of much assistance and interest to many older veterans, as well as for those who support them.
3. Serve and Protect Credit Union have sent out a Budget Planning guide to their membership and have now created a sharable infographic (attached and links below).
- Encouraging non-UK service personnel to save towards the cost of visas; VISA to Remain (Online Version): https://www.militarycu.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Online-VISA-to-Remain-militarycu.pdf
- VISA to Remain (Print Ready Version): https://www.militarycu.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Print-Ready-VISA-to-Remain-militarycu.pdf
- CU Difference (Online Version): https://www.militarycu.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Online-CU-Difference-militarycu.pdf
- CU Difference (Print Ready Version): https://www.militarycu.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Print-Ready-CU-Difference-militarycu.pdf
- Budget Planner (Online Version): https://www.militarycu.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Online-Budget-Planner-militarycu.pdf
- Budget Planner (Print Ready Version): https://www.militarycu.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Print-Ready-Budget-Planner-militarycu.pdf
4. From NHS Scotland: A national ‘Near Me’ public engagement exercise started 30 June, and runs until 24 July. The aim is to find out what people in Scotland think about using video consulting, and how we can improve the Near Me service in future. The National TEC team already have a lot of feedback from the end of call survey, but this is about reaching the wider public in addition to service users. It will also raise public awareness of Near Me. Information including a link to the public survey is at www.nearme.scot/views. It would be great if you could participate, the more information we can gather the better. Over the next few days, some media activity will start and the National Near Me Team will be contacting a wide range of stakeholders including health boards, local authorities, health and social care partnerships, public sector organisations, third sector organisations, health and social care charities, and professional bodies. Please feel free to circulate with your own networks/teams as the more that take part, the better understanding the National team will get.
5. MP Andrew Selous’ report, ‘Living in our shoes; Understanding the needs of UK Armed Forces’ Families’ has now been published:
6. Below are some useful websites for the Armed Forces Community:
For parents: https://www.mykidscareer.com/
Business Gateway: https://www.bgateway.com/
My World of Work, free online courses:
Scottish Veterans Commissioner (SVC) latest update:
Interim Progress Report covering the 12 months from June 2019 to June 2020. And a news release setting out key messages from SVC.
From the Scottish Veterans Commissioner’s office, where to find support for Veterans during COVID-19:
Financial top tips for Serving Personnel:
Major VM Sefton RA
sent on behalf of:
Major Laura Cox, SO2 Personal Resilience &Transition, Headquarters 51st Infantry Brigade and Army Headquarters Scotland, Forthside, Stirling, FK7 7RR